Why do you need building compliance certification?

By law, you building is required to have annual compliance certification, and failure to obtain this means that you may incur fines from local Councils and risk insurance cover. Compliance gives you the knowledge that your tenants will be able to exit a building safely in case of fire.

How do you achieve compliance certification?

Measures are either inspected quarterly or annually and focus on the following areas of your building:

Passive Fire covers the construction in relation to fire resistance. It indicated fire resistance. It includes the items, exit doors, smoke doors, fire doors, paths to travel to exits, fire resisting shafts, fire resisting structures, fire indices, fire protected coverings, fire rated access panel, lightweight construction, penetration fire-related structures, discharge from exits to public road, fire isolated passageways and stairs, fire indices and passageways. We also monitor the fire equipment, emergency lighting and mechanical services to ensure that all items applicable to your building are maintained to the correct Australian standard by the contractor. Anderson Group makes the process easy for you by managing the reports, providing certification and helping you to sustain long-term compliance. If you also require maintenance of fire equipment, emergency lighting and mechanical ventilation, Anderson Group will coordinate these contractors.

What types of building are affected?

All buildings other than a house or outbuilding are affected. These include the following classes as defined in the Building Code of Australia.

Class 1B: Some boarding houses, guesthouses or hostels.

Class 2: Buildings containing sole-occupancy unit (e.g. apartments, blocks of flats).

Class 3: Backpacker accommodation, residential parts of hotels or motels, residential parts of schools accommodation for the aged, physically challenged or children.

Class 5: Offices for professional and commercial purposes.

Class 6: Shops or other buildings for the sale of goods by retail cafes, restaurants, milk bars, dining rooms and bars.

Class 7: Buildings used for car parks, storage or warehouses.

Class 8: Laboratories and factories.

Class 9: Public buildings such as healthcare buildings or assembly buildings, nightclubs, bars, etc.

What happens if an owner doesn’t comply?

The municipal building surveyor or chief officer of the relevant fire brigade is responsible for the enforcement of these Regulations. Non-compliance may result in an infringement notice issued to the Fire Brigade up to $1,000, and furthermore, non-compliance may result in prosecution in which a fine may be imposed of $10,000 for an individual, or $50,000 for companies for each breech of regulations. More importantly, non-compliance could place not only building occupants at risk but also those of passer-by and the occupants of adjoining buildings. Adequate maintenance is the best means of ensuring that fire safety systems will operate reliably if an emergency arises.