When is a certificate of consent required?

If you intend to apply for a building permit to carry out domestic building work that costs more than $12,000, you must provide a Certificate of Consent from the Victorian Building Authority as part of your building permit application. You will also need to obtain subsequent certificates of consent for any additional building work (costing over $12,000) on the same property. It is a serious offence if you commence building work without the correct permits in place, and you may be compelled to demolish illegal buildings. Never rely on informational advice on planning or building permits.