Choosing to act as an Owner Builder is an attractive option for many Home Owners today. It provides an opportunity to take full control of the construction and generally translates to cost efficiency over the whole build.
Equally it can present great challenges and has the potential for issues if you are not fully prepared.
Before deciding to act as an Owner Builder there are a few simple questions you can ask yourself to gauge your preparedness:
- Can I interpret working drawings, structural design documentation and understand the language?
- Will I be available to supervise construction on a daily basis and am I prepared for unexpected schedule changes?
- Do I have a sound knowledge of contractual and financial requirements for various trades?
- Can I effectively manage the flow of trades to enable a smooth construction program?
- Do I understand the types of hazards and liability that must be insured against prior to commencement of construction?